[b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents - Examples

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Fri Apr 22 09:30:47 EDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:56:58 +0300 "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny at mail.ru>
writes:

> > Again, I am not making a valuation of the principle of
> > punishing the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 10th generation for
> > the crimes or sins of one man (or I suppose one woman for
> > that matter).  I am not judging either the fairness or
> > efficacy of this principle.  I merely stated that it was
> > expounded in theory and enforced in practice.
>
> Enforced?? Surely not.
> And you simply misinterpret the theory.
>
> > That being said, of the three case studies that this thread
> > identified, Joshua 7, 1 Sam 15, and 2 Sam 21, none involves
> > idolatry.
> >

> Josh7: the house of Achan actually profited from illegal things, so
> all who
> profited were punished - not their descendants. Besides, "them"
> might refer
> to goods, not to people - because they were burned, and animals
> stoned. The
> heap of stones commemorates "him," not "them."
>
> Amalek in 1Sam15 was an enemy nation. Saul dealt with the current
> problem,
> rationalized  by past grievances. But Amalekites committed idolatry
> in the
> sense of opposing the divine will.
>
> In 2Sam21, David did not recognize that Gibeonites have a right to
> punish
> Saul's children. Indeed, Gibeonites were not bound by Hebrew
> commandments.
> David rather recognized the merits of their vengeance. Saul, of
> course,
> committed idolatry by sparing the animals for sacrifice, thus
> imagining that
> sacrifices, the material, are more important than obedience.
>
> Vadim Cherny

Vadim,

I think you misinterpret the passage.  It begins

WaY:HiY Rf(fB B.iYM"Y DfWiD . . . WaY:BaQ."$ D.fWiD )eT_P.:N"Y YHWH

and concludes

W:H"M.f HuM:TW. B.iYM"Y QfCiYR B.fRi)$ONiYM T:XiL.aT Q:CiYR #:(oRiYM

This would serve to connect it to the judgment of God as well as David's
recognition.

george
gfsomsel