[b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 19:24:12 EDT 2005

Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:
Uri wrote:

>the Mishnah, when quoting biblical texts, is practically using the MT

I understand him to be claiming that there are very few differences
between the MT and the consonantal text used by the authors of the
Mishnah. I presume that he is not making a claim that the Mishnah
reflects the MT vocalisation.

 Absolutely. Other than some cuniform and DSS evidence about PNs,  some el-Amarna and  comparative material from proto=Semitic, all important in themselves,  the original pronounciations are uncertain. I use the plural, because it stands to reason that over a period of a thousand years or more, and under the influence of various languages ,ranging from Aramaic to Greek, pronounciation changed. And that is apart from dialectical  variations such as south-north.

Uri