[b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Tue Apr 5 07:18:21 EDT 2005

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:25:17 +0100 Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>
writes:
> George, I should have qualified my statement a bit more, as follows:
>
> "Many of those who reject this possibility do so only because they
> reject the possibility of predictive prophecy... Others do so
> because
> they follow the interpretations of the former group without
> adequately
> examining their basis."
>
> It seems that your a priori position is "Prophecy does not name
> specific
> names -- that is its nature." And this position does not have the
> benefit of the philosophical coherence of the position that
> predictive
> prophecy is impossible. You seem to believe that it is possible but
> only
> if it is very vague. Do you see prophecy as akin to weather
> forecasting,
> seeing the direction in which things are going and making judgments,
> or
> guesses (e.g. that the child in Isaiah 7 would be a boy rather than
> girl), about the future? If so, I would say that you are in fact
> rejecting genuine predictive prophecy, which is a revelation from
> God
> rather than a human prediction based on current circumstances. Or do
> you
> agree with me and Karl that God can and did reveal to the prophets
> specific facts about the future? In that case, why are the specific
>
> facts necessarily vague?
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter at qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/
___________________

If we believe in a God who created the universe, we then confess that he
also established the rules governing it.  I do not subscribe to a deistic
view in which he must then tinker with the mechanism from time to time.
I cite to you God's questions to Job

?2? “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
?3? Gird up your loins like a man,
I will question you, and you shall declare to me.
?4? “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
?5? Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
?6? On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid its cornerstone,
?7? when the morning stars sang together,
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
?8? “Or who shut in the sea with doors,
when it burst forth from the womb;
?9? when I made clouds its garment,
and thick darkness its swaddling band,
?10? and prescribed bounds for it,
and set bars and doors,
?11? and said, ‘Thus far shall you come, and no farther,
and here shall your proud waves be stayed’?
?12? “Have you commanded the morning since your days began,
and caused the dawn to know its place,
?13? that it might take hold of the skirts of the earth,
and the wicked be shaken out of it?
and

?5? “Who has let the wild ass go free?
Who has loosed the bonds of the swift ass,
?6? to whom I have given the steppe for his home,
and the salt land for his dwelling place?
?7? He scorns the tumult of the city;
he hears not the shouts of the driver.
?8? He ranges the mountains as his pasture,
and he searches after every green thing.
?9? “Is the wild ox willing to serve you?
Will he spend the night at your crib?
?10? Can you bind him in the furrow with ropes,
or will he harrow the valleys after you?
?11? Will you depend on him because his strength is great,
and will you leave to him your labor?
?12? Do you have faith in him that he will return,
and bring your grain to your threshing floor?
?13? “The wings of the ostrich wave proudly;
but are they the pinions and plumage of love?
?14? For she leaves her eggs to the earth,
and lets them be warmed on the ground,
?15? forgetting that a foot may crush them,
and that the wild beast may trample them.
?16? She deals cruelly with her young, as if they were not hers;
though her labor be in vain, yet she has no fear;
?17? because God has made her forget wisdom,
and given her no share in understanding.
Do you pretend to be wiser than God himself that you require him to
change his dealings with the world which he has created?  This strikes me
as pure hubris of the order of the Beast in Re 13.8 who as a member of
the demonic trinity would seek to determine what must happen.

Yes, it is vague and partial because that is the nature of our knowledge
-- we know in part and see through a glass darkly.

george
gfsomsel