SV: [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14

Søren Holst sh at teol.ku.dk
Fri Apr 1 13:35:30 EST 2005

Karl,

By all means the LXX rendered 'almah as parthenos (which in most cases DOES mean virgin) in the pre-christian period, and thus chose a word with a narrower semantic field for its translation. I see no reason to doubt it. I'm not out to say christians were in bad faith when interpreting Isaiah or anything like that.

But I'm afraid I don't see why 'almah should mean "unknown one" just beacuse the verb lehe'elim means "to ignore". There are plenty of cases, where words have identical triliteral roots without being semantically related.

Nor do I see why "unknown one" should mean virgin, just because Gen 4:1 (and plenty of other passages) have the verb yada' in the sense of "have intercourse". This is very interesting speculative interpretation, but it's certainly not linguistics.

As I pointed out previously, a woman referred to as an 'almah, would certainly be expected to be a virgin if not yet married. So virgins are included in the category of 'almah, and therefore the biblical passges with 'almah are not rendered nonsensical if we follow the LXX in narrowing the semantic field of the word. But if I check all occurrences of 'almah and betulah, I find no instance where 'almah must be translated as "virgin" in order for the text to make sense -- the situation is quite different for betulah, as may be seen from Gen 24,16.

sincerely,
Soren