[b-hebrew] Dating the Psalms by language

Ian Young ian.young at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sun Oct 31 06:25:04 EST 2004

Hi Chris,

The classic study is:

Avi Hurvitz, The Transition Period in Biblical Hebrew: A Study of
Post-Exilic Hebrew and its Implications for the Dating of Psalms,
[Hebrew] Jerusalem, Bialik, 1972.

This is the foundational study for Hurvitz's method of identifying "Late
Biblical Hebrew".  But yes, it is in Hebrew.

A summary, focussing on methodology, was published in English as:

Avi Hurvitz, "Linguistic Criteria for Dating Problematic Biblical
Texts", Hebrew Abstracts 14, 1973, p.74-79.

Basically all the Psalms that Hurvitz suggests are Late are numbered
100+.

Let me also try to sell you something.  A collection of articles arguing
for and against a chronological approach to Biblical Hebrew is:

Ian Young (ed), Biblical HebrewStudies in Chronology and Typology,
JSOTSup 369, T&T Clark, London, 2003.

Ian Young
Sydney University

Message: 1