Fw: [b-hebrew] A Request

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 11:23:04 EDT 2004

"gfsomsel at juno.com" <gfsomsel at juno.com> wrote:

Uri Hurwitz wrote:

>Marianne discussed the famous 1 Kings 20:11 -- )L YTHLL XGR KMPTX and
>provided a dozen words or so of English translation. I wonder if there is a more
compact translation that approaches the impact of the original?

>Now the structure of Semitic languages is different from that of the English,
yet it is the power of biblical Hebrew that is captivating to this day.

Uri,

How about "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched"?

george
gfsomsel

George,

Excellent!   But ---  don't you think the biblical expression is a bit more powerful?

Uri