Fw: [b-hebrew] A Request

gfsomsel at juno.com gfsomsel at juno.com
Mon Oct 25 10:42:35 EDT 2004

Uri Hurwitz wrote:

>yes, Yigal, but as you said these are simply translations.

>Marianne discussed the famous 1 Kings 20:11 --  )L YTHLL  XGR KMPTX and
>provided a dozen words or so of English translation. I wonder if there is a more
compact translation that approaches the impact of the original?

>Now the structure of Semitic languages is different from  that of the English,
yet it is the power of biblical Hebrew that is captivating to this day.

>Uri
>
>Yigal Levin <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:

and show me
your
>> hand"--aw, you know what I mean. There must be some expression like
that--and if
>> it's in Biblical Hebrew that would be fine, too. Certainly, I know how to
say
>> this in Yiddish, but it's rather vulgarly put ;-(
>>

>Hi Marianne,
>
>The expression in modern Hebrew is almost a translation of the English (or
maybe of an equivilant German of French expression): Ptah et kol hakkelafim
(open all of the cards), or, Hasof et kol hakkelafim (expose all of teh
cards).

>Yigal
_________

Uri,

How about "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched"?

george
gfsomsel