[b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Oct 24 12:17:09 EDT 2004

On 23/10/2004 19:42, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
>> Basic Hebrew knowledge is not as simple as you thought, for ):A$ER is
>> not the same as the Greek, Latin or English relative.
>

> HH: I never said it was. I was the one who first mentioned, it seems
> weeks ago, that BDB calls )$R a connecting link or sign of relation.
> We ...

No, you, singular. Well, not BDB, not Gesenius "in the Greek, Latin or
English sense", not Clay, and not me.

> ... call the function that it sometimes has that of a relative pronoun.

A pronoun is something which fills a noun slot in the syntactic
structure. If ):A$ER does not do this, it is like Azerbaijani ki which
should not be called a pronoun: it is a relative something, but a
relative conjuction. Since in certain cases ):A$ER can fill a noun slot,
it is sometimes a pronoun. But the slot it fills is not usually the one
(in the subordinate clause) which a Greek, Latin or English relative
pronoun fills, and so Gesenius is quite right to say that ):A$ER "is
not, however, a relative pronoun in the Greek, Latin or English sense".

So I end up agreeing with Clay on Ezekiel 23:28.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/