[b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Oct 23 13:47:24 EDT 2004

On 23/10/2004 17:30, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> ... It's in all the grammars I've ever seen (e.g., GKC #36; WOC #19.3)
> and is just basic Hebrew knowledge.

I looked at GKC #36, which refers further to #138 and #155. Although GKC
uses the title "The Relative Pronoun", they do state that ):A$ER "is
not, however, a relative pronoun in the Greek, Latin or English sense"
(#138a). They continue (#138b) to explain how there is usually a
"retrospective pronoun" filling the X slot in the subordinate clause,
although this is sometimes omitted. They also mention "independent
relative clauses" (#138e) in which ):A$ER fills the X slot in the main
clause.

Basic Hebrew knowledge is not as simple as you thought, for ):A$ER is
not the same as the Greek, Latin or English relative.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/