[b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sat Oct 23 12:30:55 EDT 2004

Dear Peter,

>Well, I don't agree that )$R can represent an antecedent at all,
>singular or plural, in the sense you meant. At least, this is
>unproven if the example put forward, Ezekiel 23:28, is anything like
>the best example. And this is what the original discussion was
>about. You can't argue ")$R can represent either a singular or
>plural antecedent, therefore )$R can represent an antecedent". You
>need to come up with examples where )$R unambiguously represents an
>antecedent, i.e. where it fills a noun slot in the main clause. This
>is necessary to refute my theory that )$R is simply a conjunction
>i.e. it does not fill a noun slot in either main or subordinate
>clause.

HH: I'm not following you. There is an entire section of examples in
BDB under numbers 1-7. Conjunction comes with number 8. In the
Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew, see the first meaning given, pages
419-20: "as a pronoun introducing relative clause, which, that,
who(m)." They have other sections with other similar functions. I am
so familiar with this usage. It's in all the grammars I've ever seen
(e.g., GKC #36; WOC #19.3) and is just basic Hebrew knowledge.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard