[b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Oct 23 10:23:39 EDT 2004

On 23/10/2004 14:40, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> HH: I don't expect such a clash of number here as you suggest. I think
> it does not occur with hand, or is rare. You seem to be claiming that
> giving a plural idea to )$R is somehow not literal. But )$R is a
> relative pronoun and can represent either a singular or plural
> antecedent. ...

Well, I don't agree that )$R can represent an antecedent at all,
singular or plural, in the sense you meant. At least, this is unproven
if the example put forward, Ezekiel 23:28, is anything like the best
example. And this is what the original discussion was about. You can't
argue ")$R can represent either a singular or plural antecedent,
therefore )$R can represent an antecedent". You need to come up with
examples where )$R unambiguously represents an antecedent, i.e. where it
fills a noun slot in the main clause. This is necessary to refute my
theory that )$R is simply a conjunction i.e. it does not fill a noun
slot in either main or subordinate clause.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/