[b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Oct 22 17:52:18 EDT 2004

Dear Peter,

>>... The )$R in both clauses is probably substituting for the
>>people. That's what I'm used to seeing. Fairly literally it is :
>>"For thus says the Lord God, 'See, I am giving you into the hand of
>>those you hate, into the hand of those from whom your soul is
>>alienated.'"
>>
>Well, fairly literally, but more literally "For thus says the Lord
>God, 'See, I am giving you into the hand which you hate, into the
>hand from which your NEPE$ is alienated.'" Your "of those" is an
>interpretative addition, although the plural MHM, which doesn't go
>with the singular hand, suggests the plurality. (And as you see, I
>don't like to gloss NEPE$ as "soul".)

HH: But your "more literal" translation did not include the plurality
of MHM. If you include that plurality in the translation, you have to
change the sense of )$R from "which" to "those." Just because
something is interpretive does not necessarilymake it less literal.
Also, I have studied NP$ at length, reading a long essay on it in
addition to encyclopedia articles. NP$ means all sorts of things, and
one of its meanings is "soul." That is well accepted although
somewhat out of favor.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard