[b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Oct 22 17:24:46 EDT 2004

On 22/10/2004 22:10, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
>>> Take a look at:
>>> Ezek. 23:28 ky kh )mr )dny yhwh hnny ntnK byd )$r &n)t byd )$r-nq(h
>>> np$K mhM
>>>
>> Well, I think I would consider this a figure of speech. This is a
>> well-formed sentence "... into the hand which hates you, into the
>> hand which your NEPE$ was estranged(?) from (them)." But here the
>> hand is a metonymy or synecdoche for the person who owns the hand.
>> But there is no placeholder here.
>>
>> Note the "from them" which is the resumptive pronoun I was referring to.
>

> HH: The verb "hate" is in the second person singular. "You" is the
> subject, not the object. ...

Sorry, my mistake.

> ... The )$R in both clauses is probably substituting for the people.
> That's what I'm used to seeing. Fairly literally it is : "For thus
> says the Lord God, 'See, I am giving you into the hand of those you
> hate, into the hand of those from whom your soul is alienated.'"

Well, fairly literally, but more literally "For thus says the Lord God,
'See, I am giving you into the hand which you hate, into the hand from
which your NEPE$ is alienated.'" Your "of those" is an interpretative
addition, although the plural MHM, which doesn't go with the singular
hand, suggests the plurality. (And as you see, I don't like to gloss
NEPE$ as "soul".)

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/