[b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Oct 22 17:10:49 EDT 2004

Dear Peter,

>>Take a look at:
>>Ezek. 23:28 ky kh )mr )dny yhwh hnny ntnK byd )$r &n)t byd )$r-nq(h np$K mhM
>>
>Well, I think I would consider this a figure of speech. This is a
>well-formed sentence "... into the hand which hates you, into the
>hand which your NEPE$ was estranged(?) from (them)." But here the
>hand is a metonymy or synecdoche for the person who owns the hand.
>But there is no placeholder here.
>
>Note the "from them" which is the resumptive pronoun I was referring to.

HH: The verb "hate" is in the second person singular. "You" is the
subject, not the object. The )$R in both clauses is probably
substituting for the people. That's what I'm used to seeing. Fairly
literally it is : "For thus says the Lord God, 'See, I am giving you
into the hand of those you hate, into the hand of those from whom
your soul is alienated.'"

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard