[b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 22 17:03:52 EDT 2004

On 10/22/04 1:45 PM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:

> Well, I think I would consider this a figure of speech. This is a
> well-formed sentence "... into the hand which hates you, into the hand
> which your NEPE$ was estranged(?) from (them)." But here the hand is a
> metonymy or synecdoche for the person who owns the hand. But there is no
> placeholder here.
>
> Note the "from them" which is the resumptive pronoun I was referring to.

Thanks Peter,

I saw that you were talking about the resumptive pronoun where my question
was focused on the missing (from the sentence) antecedent. I really don't
care if someone uses a placeholder to mark the "canonical" position of the
antecedent in a headless relative clause as long as no syntax theory is
formulated based on a pattern where that place holder is used as evidence.

Of course no one on this list would do such a thing!

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew