[b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Oct 22 16:45:02 EDT 2004

On 21/10/2004 16:55, C. Stirling Bartholomew wrote:

>Peter,
>
>I am not sure we are talking about exactly the same thing.
>
>Take a look at:
>
>Ezek. 23:28 ky kh )mr )dny yhwh hnny ntnK byd )$r &n)t byd )$r-nq(h np$K mhM
>
>The antecedent of )$r in the expression byd )$r &n)t is not explicit, it is
>inferred or, if you prefer, it is exophoric rather than anaphoric. To supply
>a place holder %  to mark the position of this antecedent byd-% )$r &n)t
>implies that there is something defective about the syntax, that it is
>missing something. But the expression byd )$r &n)t is well formed. There is
>nothing missing. A relative with an exophoric antecedent is perfectly
>acceptable.

OK, this is syntactically normal, just semantically anomalous.

>I would agree that semantically the exophoric antecedent is present in the
>text but syntactically it is not. So if we are talking syntax I would say
>leave the place holder out. If you are talking semantics then the place
>holder serves a purpose.

Well, I think I would consider this a figure of speech. This is a
well-formed sentence "... into the hand which hates you, into the hand
which your NEPE$ was estranged(?) from (them)." But here the hand is a
metonymy or synecdoche for the person who owns the hand. But there is no
placeholder here.

Note the "from them" which is the resumptive pronoun I was referring to.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/