[b-hebrew] BLG

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Oct 21 14:39:06 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>

> Indeed we cannot be sure that the meaning is the same. But in most cases
> this kind of meaning change is either subtle or in rather obviously
> explainable directions.
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter at qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Making the assumption that the change was from a recognizable direction, I took the meaning of "break (dawn)" and looked to see which way it could have moved. I then came to the conclusion that it could come from "to appear" (which is what another cognate language has) or possibly even "to be present" or a similar idea. The only verse that I find that that definition gives trouble to is Psalm 39:14, but the trouble comes from how one defines H$(, does is come from $(H or a noun from $W( to cry out as for help? The second makes a possible reading as "My cry is that I be present, before I go that I am not."

At least two of the five uses does not fit "to cheer up".

Karl W. Randolph.