[b-hebrew] BLG

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 13:19:09 EDT 2004

In a message dated 10/21/2004 4:36:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
peterkirk at qaya.org writes:

> >Is the Arabic the only recognized cognate language similarity to BLG? ...
> >

> It is the only one mentioned in BDB, which was all I claimed before.
> Someone else gave further information from HALOT. I have now just opened
> up HALOT, and there is a mention there of an Egyptian possible cognate
> BRG, no meaning given, and a suggested link with BLQ which is "to
> appear" in Syriac, "to dazzle" in Mandaean(?), and "to gleam" in Arabic.

The Egyptian term is "b3rg3"--to give light or illumine.  From the way it is
written in te glyphs, it doesn't look like a cognate but rather group writing,
that is transliteration of a Semitic term.  That it contains /r/ is
insignificant.  The Egyptian graphic system contained no "l", so /r/ does duty for
both.

Marianne Luban