[b-hebrew] THM

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Oct 19 15:02:22 EDT 2004

In Psalms 42:5, 12 and 43:5 there is the word THMY where the final yod looks like a suffix. At first glance it looks like a misspelling for THWM, but are we looking at a noun derived from the root HWM being disquieted, stirred up or in a commotion?

Another question, are HWM and HMH varient spellings for the same root? [ HMM is a different root ]  Both seem to share the same idea of being in a hubbub, constant motion often with attendent noise.

Karl W. Randolph.

Thanx for the response on BLG: it looks as if the Arabic balaja with the idea of destruction fits the context better than the gloss I had been given.