[b-hebrew] BLG

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Oct 18 23:15:33 EDT 2004

Dear Karl,

>Dear List Members:
>
>This root appears only five times in Tanakh, four times as a hiphil
>verb and once as a hiphil participle in a noun context. Any thoughts
>on its definition?
>
>I looked up a dictionary and the definition given was to brighten up
>as in making cheerful, however all the contexts where it is used
>imply a destructive definition as in being consumed or destroyed.

HH: Try Job 9:27; 10:20; and Ps 39:14:

KJV:

Job 9:27 If I say, I will forget my complaint, I will leave off my
heaviness, and comfort myself:
Job 10:20 Are not my days few? cease then, and let me alone, that I
may take comfort a little,
Psa. 39:13 O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go
hence, and be no more.

NIV:

Job 9:27 If I say,  'I will forget my complaint, I will change my
expression, and smile,'
Job 10:20 Are not my few days almost over? Turn away from me so I can
have a moment's joy
Psa. 39:13 Look away from me, that I may rejoice again before I
depart and am no more."

Also note the cognate MBLYG in Jer 8:18:

Jer. 8:18 O my Comforter in sorrow, my heart is faint within me.

HH: BDB lists an Arabic cognate for the verb.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard