SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan Pentateuch

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 11:53:35 EDT 2004

E. Tov has a detailed, and fascinating, discussion of both the fragmentary texts labeled 'proto-Samaritan' from the Dead Sea Scrolls ( DSS), as well as the linguistic features of the Samaritan as a whole.

One of the main features of the proto- Smaritan/ Samaritan texts are the so callled harmonizations, or normalizations of  peculiar grammatical or lexical usages, for example: Gen 9:29  WYHY KL YMY NWX in MT becomes the proper WYHYW KL YMY NWX,  or Gen 49:11  SWTH in MT becomes the much clearer KSWTW .

There are other differences onveniently listed by Tov.

Uri

Schmuel <schmuel at escape.com> wrote:
Hi b-hebrew,

Thomas L. Thompson
>The Samaritan Pentateuch is a medieval text. For a discussion of this manuscript tradition see I. Hjelm, The Samaritans and Early Judaism (Sheffield 2000), p. 76-83.

By a medieval text does one mean that it was actually written at that time ?
Or that we have not found archeological trace of an earlier such text ?

If someone who has the Hjelm article could expand on this a little,
it would be greatly appreciated.

Apparently scholars like Emanuel Tov consider it as a Bible that deserves be thrown into
their textcrit mix, along with the DSS, the LXX, Vulgate, Peshitta, Targum, etc. I am not
sure why they would do that if it was simply a medieval text.

I know that early CE writers reference their pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton.
Are there no references to their Tanach ?

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY

Marianne Luban