SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan Pentateuch

Schmuel schmuel at escape.com
Fri Oct 15 09:48:41 EDT 2004

Hi  b-hebrew,

Thomas L. Thompson
>The Samaritan Pentateuch is a medieval text. For a discussion of this manuscript tradition see I. Hjelm, The Samaritans and Early Judaism (Sheffield 2000), p. 76-83.

By a medieval text does one mean that it was actually written at that time ?
Or that we have not found archeological trace of an earlier such text ?

If someone who has the Hjelm article could expand on this a little,
it would be greatly appreciated.

Apparently scholars like Emanuel Tov consider it as a Bible that deserves be thrown into
their textcrit mix, along with the DSS, the LXX, Vulgate, Peshitta, Targum, etc. I am not
sure why they would do that if it was simply a medieval text.

I know that early CE writers reference their pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton.
Are there no references to their Tanach ?

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY

Marianne Luban