[b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Oct 11 17:17:23 EDT 2004

Dear Karl,

>I have no problem viewing post-Esilic Hebrew as post-Exilic Jewish
>Latin. As such, one cannot rule out the possibility that GDD in the
>Damascus Document as an Aramaic loan word or backwards development
>from a noun.

HH: Here is one paragraph from the long article for Dave that at
least shows you have some basis for your theory about Jer 5:7's use
of GDD:
http://articles.jerusalemperspective.com/articles/DisplayArticle.aspx?ArticleID=1604

The view that Aramaic was the language of conversation in
first-century Israel seems to be supported by the Aramaic words found
in the New Testament. Many scholars have seen Jesus' words to Jairus'
twelve-year-old daughter, "Talitha kumi" (Mk. 5:41), as proof that he
spoke Aramaic. Yet, even if Jesus spoke to her in Hebrew, he could
have said "Talitha kumi." One must not forget that many Aramaic words
in various forms found their way into Hebrew in the Second Temple
period. The command to "get up" kumi is the same word in Hebrew and
Aramaic.

				Yours.
				Harold Holmyard