[b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Oct 9 08:46:00 EDT 2004

Harold:

We don't know when the Damascus Document was authored, but from the sounds of it, it was centuries after the last of the Hebrew canon. In other words, at a time when the people on the street spoke Aramaic and only the scholars spoke Hebrew more or less fluently (much like the medieval monks spoke Latin). Thus it is very likely that GDD in the Damascus Document is either an Aramaic loan word or a late development of GDWD into a verb.

As for the "up-to-date lexicon", have you not noticed my discussions concerning BDB? All of those that I know of since Gesenius have been written with presuppositions that I reject: presuppositions such as evolution, the late development of the Hebrew canon, the backwardness of the ancient Hebrew people, and that word usages in cognate languages and in post Biblical Hebrew accurately reflects Biblical Hebrew use. (The last point can often give us clues to rarely used Biblical Hebrew terms, if used with caution.) I find that comparing lexemes with their roots and synonyms within Tanakh more useful for finding accurate definitions than looking at cognate languages.

Karl W. Randolph.