[b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Oct 8 23:33:06 EDT 2004

Dear Robert,

Thanks for writing, and it was good to have your input. It is nice of
you to provide further information. I would like to comment on one
statement you made.

>On to more: Harold's appeal to the "thought process" is really
>blurring the line
>between pschology and linguistics.  What we think we do when we form sentences
>may in fact have nothing to do with what the mind actually does.  We
>have to be
>much more careful here, and simple anecdotal evidence really proves nothing in
>this regard.

If this sentence formation were an unconscious process, I might have
more sympathy with such a statement. But we are speaking here of
written language. I don't know about you, but I think when I write.
I choose my words carefully and put my sentences together
deliberately. To say what we think we do when we form sentences may
have nothing to do with what the mind actually does seems hard to
swallow. I construct sentences a certain way to accomplish definite
ends, and if the sentence does not seem to be succeeding, I add and
subtract words, change them, and move them around. I may rewrite
whole paragraphs to make the point clearer or communicate more
simply. To say I should ignore the thought process strikes me as
removing the communicator from the communication. If we retain the
communicator, the problems he faces in conveying a message are quite
similar to the ones I face. And these same issues can reappear in
other languages.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard