[b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Oct 8 12:40:26 EDT 2004

Harold:

Maybe I was not a clear as I should have been.

Here in Jeremiah 5:7 I understand BYT ZWNH as a metaphore for apostate Judah, not as a statement concerning visiting a common prostitute. This use is consistant with the appellation of apostate Israel and Judah as committing (spiritual) adultary and prostitution when they serve other gods (possibly physical as well if the worship includes ritual coitus), and consistant with the context leading up to this statement.

As for the use of GDD as a verb, it is used only seven times. Psalm 94:21 and the varient in Psalm 59:4 are from the root GWD, in Jeremiah 30:23 the verb is a hitpolel of GWR.

As for GDWD, it was not the main army (which often called for mustering out every able bodied man of the nation), rather a squad, often no more than a raiding party. It is a troop "cut out" or split off from the main army.

Karl W. Randolph.