[b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 01:12:47 EDT 2004

On 10/6/04 8:46 PM, "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, I think you've identified the big problem with Chomskyian
> grammar and why I don't like it myself: it neglects the distributional
> syntactic data that doesn't fit with the "theory".

OK.

> But watch that you aren't setting up a straw man with Holmstedt. Prior to
> the Proverbs work he did an analysis of every clauses in *Genesis*. See pp.
> 126-159 of his dissertation avalible here:

Thanks for the link David, I will look at it,

Apparently I missed the mark with Holmstedt. This is very easy to do.
Reminds me of long discussions over dinner with a J.Derrida disciple, who
keeps telling me "you don't understand, you don't understand." When it comes
to minimalism the first thing I am willing to admit is I don't understand.

Meanwhile I am waiting for my library to fetch (InteLibLoan) the following:

*********
A New Architecture for Functional Grammar

Ed. by Mackenzie, J. Lachlan / Gómez-González, María de los Ángeles.

2004. 23 x 15.5 cm. XIV, 394 pages. Paperback. Euro [D] 39.95 / sFr 64.00 /
approx. US$ 48.00.
ISBN 3-11-017356-5
MOUTON DE GRUYTER

Looks like a good read, No?