[b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Oct 6 16:35:20 EDT 2004

Dear Clay,

>A good suggestion. The LXX,  Codex B,  shows a relative pronoun followed by
>a finite verb 3rd person singular. Codex A has a functional equivalent:
>  the masculine singular nominative article + participle. In both manuscripts
>it is clear that )nky is **not** considered the subject of the verb h(lyty.
>
>Judg. 6:8  ... )nky h(lyty )tkM mmcryM ...
>
>The syntax of in the LXX suggests that )nky is outside of the following
>clause. This certainly permits (not requires) )nky to be a fronted
>constituent functioning pragmatically as a focus marker.
>
>I am not following any particular theory here, I am being eclectic :-)

HH: The Greek translators just rendered the Hebrew with the emphasis
they felt the pronoun )NKY required. This involved the insertion of a
relative particle and also a linking verb for it, but they were
trying to represent the Hebrew where the pronoun is obviously the
subject of the verb. The translation I offered in English, without
looking at the Greek, did the same thing. It is somewhat unavoidable
sometimes, the structure of Greek and English being slightly
different than that of Hebrew:

Judg. 6:8 he sent them a prophet, who said,  "This is what the LORD,
the God of Israel, says: It is I who brought you up out of Egypt, out
of the land of slavery.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard