[b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 14:22:27 EDT 2004

On 10/6/04 6:03 AM, "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard at ont.com> wrote:

> I realize that there is no relative pronoun
> before "brought" in [judges] 6:8, but I added it in order
> to show in English what the force of the emphatic
> Hebrew pronoun )NKY might be.

Harold,

A good suggestion. The LXX,  Codex B,  shows a relative pronoun followed by
a finite verb 3rd person singular. Codex A has a functional equivalent:
 the masculine singular nominative article + participle. In both manuscripts
it is clear that )nky is **not** considered the subject of the verb h(lyty.

Judg. 6:8  ... )nky h(lyty )tkM mmcryM ...

The syntax of in the LXX suggests that )nky is outside of the following
clause. This certainly permits (not requires) )nky to be a fronted
constituent functioning pragmatically as a focus marker.

I am not following any particular theory here, I am being eclectic :-)

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew