[b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 12:55:02 EDT 2004

On 10/5/04 11:27 PM, "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, Holmstedt is one of the few who *does* argue for a S-V order for
> BH.

That's right, and using Proverbs* as a database. A brilliant move, like
writing a syntax of the Greek clause based on the choruses of Euripides.

On another front, Holmstedt has taken the notion of "eclectic" to new
levels. In Fronting** he advocates the marriage of heaven and hell, Prague
and MIT.  Using Chomsky minimalism (?) for syntax and pragmatics for
information structure.

The second part of Fronting* on pragmatics is a good read. The first part
leaves me wondering what Late-Chomsky has to offer for the study of Hebrew
or any other natural language. Once we get past the terminology problem, we
find a nice logical model that has a way of ignoring unwelcome data by
inventing new rules. If we have to choose (do we?) I would rather run with
S. Dik or even Halliday. But since eclecticism is the current rage, I
suspect we will have to give MIT a place at the table.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

*Word Order and Information Structure in Proverbs
Robert D. Holmstedt University of Wisconsin ­ Milwaukee
http://www.uwm.edu/%7Erdholmst/ProverbsSBL2003.pdf

**The Syntax and Pragmatics of ³Fronting² in Biblical Hebrew1
Robert D. Holmstedt University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(Draft 1/03)
http://www.uwm.edu/%7Erdholmst/FrontingSBLMW2000.pdf