[b-hebrew] Self-mutilation

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Oct 4 17:24:20 EDT 2004

Yigal:

We have here two very similar roots:

GDD in the verbal form always in hitpael referring to cutting out parts of the body as self mutilation. It is my understanding that in ancient societies self mutilation was rather common, from taking out strips of skin to make scars to cutting off fingers and toes as a form of mourning.

GWD is listed as being used in Genesus 49:19, Habakkuk 3:16 and Psalm 94:21 and the basic meaning is listed as to despoil.

I understand the word GDWD referring to a squad of soldiers from the idea of cutting them out from the main army and sending them out. Once it is used in Psalm 65:11 to refer to a clod of dirt cut out during plowing.

GDDH in plural is used once, again referring to cutting out to make scars.

Is the word used in Jeremiah 5:7 from GDD meaning cutting out or possibly hitpolel of GWD to despoil. I personally understand it as meaning "house of prostitution self mutilates" using the metaphore that the people serving other gods are like prostitutes, and in that service of other gods they practice scarification and other self mutilation condemned in Torah. (The phrase lacks the word "in" so the idea of being "in a house of prostitution" doesn't fit.)

Karl W. Randolph.