[b-hebrew] Self-mutilation

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Sat Oct 2 22:31:39 EDT 2004

I am interested in the term "gdd" as it might be found in self-mutilation.
As I have no books at hand, can anyone tell me in transliteration (sorry, no
fonts) what the line is in I Kings 18:28 where the prophets of Baal gashed
themselves?  Also, if one were to use the term "gdd", what would be the best way to
convey "to gash oneself" or "by ones own hand" or perhaps "on ones own hand"?
 To the best of my knowledge, "gdd" is Dt-stem "to gash oneself (for
religious practices)".

Marianne Luban