[b-hebrew] PNQ in Proverbs 29:21

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Oct 2 15:19:24 EDT 2004

On 02/10/2004 19:58, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Peter and others:
>
>This is a hapax legomai for which I have seen different definitions, from to discipline to to pamper: what clues to it can we find in cognate languages?

I can't exegete this verse for you convincingly, and there are textual
issues. But I can tell you that according to BDB PNQ is found in Arabic,
Aramaic and Syriac, and in Sirach 14:16, apparently supporting BDB's
gloss "indulge, pamper". BHS margin suggests, on the basis of the
Syriac, that this may be a pual participle, presumably meaning "one who
is pampered by his servant".

>Or did Solomon understand modern business practices, where one works with his underlings, giving credit where credit is due, treating them fairly yet with discipline?

Maybe, maybe not. What does the second half of the verse mean? Perhaps
the point is that "modern business practices" cause more trouble in the
end. And anyway, who is Solomon?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/