[b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Nov 30 15:00:40 EST 2004

Dave:

When reading through Tanakh over and over again, there seems to be so many exceptions to all the rules that  I have seen concerning wayyiqtols, qatals, weqatels, etc. that I finally just threw up my hands in frustration and concentrated on lexeme definition. Admittedly, this is not very scholarly, but I had my hands full with lexeme analysis so I let it slide.

Take for example, Jonah. The prefix W- is used at the beginning of every verse except those that quote speech. Here it seems to be a sign of narration, not tense nor aspect. Unless I missed one, every verse in Judges 12 starts with a W- prefix, as if to signal narration. A translator could ignore them and treat all verbs as a simple past. Another example is Psalm 105, with a royal mix where the W- seems to signal a continuation of discussion of a subject, and the lack thereof a signal of broaching a new subject, but even there it seems not to be 100% consistent and sometimes other words are used instead of W-.

In other words, there may be more than one set of rules concerning these: one set for one context and another for a different context.

Well, I have no ax to grind to defend any theory, so it's interesting to watch your discussions.

Karl W. Randolph.