[b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Nov 30 12:22:38 EST 2004

On 30/11/2004 17:00, Dave Washburn wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>I don't claim that "meaning" is encoded in a form, in fact that was my
>question, and that was why I brought in the citations from other grammarians
>who do in fact make such a claim.  I'm not sure where I stand on this
>question, which is why I'm so interested to hear Bryan expand on his
>comments.  That said, I'll be happy to look at your paper, and I hope we'll
>be able to interact about it some when I get done.  Can you suggest one
>(fairly easily obtainable!) introductory work on Relevance Theory that I can
>examine in addition?

Thanks for the clarification.

I would recommend that you look at: E-A. Gutt, Translation and
Relevance: Cognition and Context, 2nd edition, St. Jerome, Manchester
2000. This starts with a clear introduction to the theory as a whole,
partly in the context of biblical texts. I disagree with how Gutt has
applied it to translation, but that is the thrust of my paper.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/