[b-hebrew] A Jewish perspective on reading biblical hebrew

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sat Nov 27 17:19:53 EST 2004

I was born and raised in NYC, in October, 1950.  I went to a
religious nursery school and kindergarten, and to Yeshiva elementary
and high school through 9th grade.  In kindergarten we began learning
Hebrew vocabulary, in elementary school (I remember in first grade I
didn't know the word "Chacham" and the teacher told me that I
wasn't.....) - first in Forest Hills, Queens, then in 3rd grade we
moved to Queens/LI border, we learned to read Tanach at an early age,
as you say, and we ALSO learned dikduk - grammar - also at an early
age, and throughout all my years at Yeshiva, year after year, at a
very advanced level.  All our Hebrew and tanach classes were
conducted in spoken Hebrew.

Beginning with 10th grade, when I left Yeshiva to study at the High
School of Music & Art, I had no more formal Hebrew education.  Four
or five years later, after having no further exposure to Hebrew
conversation,  in 1969, I went to Israel for the first time, and had
to negotiate renting an apartment in Shaarey Chesed in Jerusalem,
with a landlady who spoke no English, and I was completely shocked
that the Hebrew just flowed easily out of me.

In later years, when I actually lived in Israel, there were many
times, while speaking Hebrew, when my grammar was more correct than
my Israeli friends' grammar.

The most common mistake I remember among Israelis was "renting an
apartment" - in the distinction between the action of the renter and
rentee......

Nowadays, in NY, having sent 2 children to different Yeshivot, I have
learned that there are 2 different schools of thought regarding
religious education in today's yeshivot.  Either they teach Hebrew
and religious and Tanach classes in spoken English, or in spoken
Hebrew.  One method produces people who can actually speak Hebrew,
the other method - where they only learn conversational Hebrew for
the regents exam - does not.  My daughter and I were educated in the
first method, my son in the second, with expected results, now my son
is in Tzefat for the year, hopefully he is learning Hebrew....

My father was an infant on the boat that brought his family to NYC
(first the East Village, then they moved to the Bronx) on
Thanksgiving Day (Nov 26), 1920.  He was educated in NYC yeshivot,
went on to study at Yeshiva University, and was fluent in
conversational Hebrew.

 From what I have heard throughout the years, the typical ulpan method
of teaching adults Hebrew, in Israel, by exposure to spoken Hebrew
alone, and without formal dikduk classes, makes it very very
difficult to learn Hebrew.

Shoshanna