[b-hebrew] A Jewish perspective on reading biblical hebrew

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri Nov 26 00:51:48 EST 2004

Dear Uri,

If you are teaching students,  I suggest the following test:  Take a
narrative text of a page or so, and change all the finite and infinite
verbs into bare roots, to the point where there is no difference between
YIQTOL, WAYYIQTOL etc.  Then, let your students translate the text
     ( they should be able to use a lexicon in order to understand the
lexical meaning of each root).

I would guess that those who have a relatively good grasp of Hebrew
would be able to translate the text rather easily, including the
temporal reference of each clause.  If that turns out to be true, it
would show that the form of the verb (the conjugations) are less
important for grasping the broad meaning of a text, but they are
important for understanding the subtleties of the text.

I would suppose that the test would work quite well with modern Hebrew
as well.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo