[b-hebrew] A Jewish perspective on reading biblical hebrew

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 21:15:31 EST 2004

Dave Washburn <dwashbur at nyx.net> wrote:
"..... But as you may have gathered from this
board, the perfect/imperfect thing doesn't exactly work, either. We're
fairly sure that BH isn't tensed, but it doesn't really seem to be aspectual,
either. That's why many of us are engaged in ongoing research, trying to
figure out exactly what it is (at the moment, we can only tell you what it
isn't). "

-- Now the mystery really deepens: if the above is correct, how could this language have been in use for thousands of years, been  translated to practically every written language; how could commentators delude themselves they understaood it  -- since the the days of the Dead Sea Scrolls  at least, if its very basic verbal system defies comprehension?

  Perhaps it is simply the difference  between the use of a language on the one hand, and the  grammatical tools  that are employed to analyze it, tools that by their nature are  constructs and abstractions?

  Uri