[b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 12:59:13 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/22/2004 4:14:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
peterkirk at qaya.org writes:

> >My Coptic grammar says thita can be an abbreviation for "t H"--such as
> >"ethneete" for "t Heneete".  "Heneete " is "monastary" and "t' is the
> feminine
> >article "the".  I can't tell you why the thita is present in "ethouab"
> because I am
> >not sure of the meaning of the entire phrase.

Well, Peter, here is your answer.  I was wrong.  There is a "thita" in
Coptic--but in the Bohairic dialect--the dialect of the Delta, Lower Egypt.  Mostly,
we beginners in Coptic learn Sahidic, the Upper Egyptian or Theban dialect.
My grammar is Sahidic.
Therefore, what is written with tau in the other dialects is mostly written
with thita in Bohairic.  What is the reason for this--I don't know.