[b-hebrew] Question on 18th Dynasty Egypt (Peter Kirk)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Nov 24 13:06:25 EST 2004

On 24/11/2004 17:05, Karl Randolph wrote:

>What are the linguistic clues in Torah concerning the cooking utensiles?
>
>When they left Egypt they had kneading troughs, most likely made of wood. During the wanderings, there is mentioned grinding and boiling of food, which presuppose some sort of utensiles. Roasting of birds could be done with a handy stick. Are there any other linguistic clues?

There is a mention in Numbers 11:8 of a hand mill (rexayim), a mortar
(medokha) and a pot (parur). But I guess all of these words are
sufficiently obscure to be of little help to this investigation. The
hand mill may have been simply a pair of stones of a suitable shape, and
so archaeologically indistinguishable from any other stones especially
after millennia of wear from desert sandstorms.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/