[b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Nov 22 16:05:32 EST 2004

On 22/11/2004 20:10, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 11/21/2004 3:56:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>peterkirk at qaya.org writes:
>

>>Thanks for the clarification. The Coptic alphabet, according to
>>http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2636.pdf, certainly seems to have
>>a theta (although variously names thethe, thita, tutte, tida) which
>>clearly corresponds in shape, position in the alphabet and numeric value
>>with the Greek theta. If this document is in fact based on false
>>information, there may just be time to stop the letter being separately
>>encoded in Unicode, but it looks to me like it is clearly attested.
>>

>Yes--my memory served me wrong.  The Coptic alphabet certainly does have a
>"thita"--but I have never seen it used in *Egyptian* words--which is what I
>should have said in the first place.  It is reserved for the writing of Greek
>words, which certainly proliferate in Coptic texts. ...

Well, maybe. But "ethouab", the last word of Figure 9 and the 7th word
of the Coptic text in Figure 12 of
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2636.pdf, is not a Greek word. Do
you recognise it as of Egyptian origin? In Figure 9 it is glossed as
"saint" (in French, but the English meaning is also "saint" or "holy").

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/