[b-hebrew] Samekh/Sin

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Nov 20 15:27:40 EST 2004

Following up on our recent discussion, I noticed that the Aramaic word "sahaduta" (testemony) in Gen. 31:47 is spelled with a Sin, while in standard Aramaic it would be spelled with Samekh. Is this a "Hebraized" spelling, or does it reflect use of Sin in early Aramaic. In the Tel Dan inscription (apparently early 8th century), not only is "Israel" spelled with a Sin (not surprising) but also the word ")sm" in line 9 of fragment A - at least, that's how Naveh read it - like Hebrew for "put".

Does anyone have any other examples of Sin in Aramaic?

Yigal