[b-hebrew] Question on 18th Dynasty Egypt

Walter R. Mattfeld mattfeld12 at charter.net
Fri Nov 19 17:03:37 EST 2004

Sameer wrote:

"A related question -- what do you guys think about
Michael S. Sanders (biblemysteries.org)?  I have spent
a long time on the Internet trying to corroborate his
data re: the Exodus etc. and have had a hard time
evaluating his credentials/credibility on matters
archaeological -- sorry this is a bit off topic, but I
know that a lot of you are competent in this area and
could give me a heads up."

Dear Sameer,

Michael S. Sanders' Exodus articles employ sources that are written by
amateurs. He cites at times from an amateur, Herman L. Hoeh's _Compendium of
World History_ (which I have in my collection), which is basically a
"hodge-podge" of data drawn from Late Medieveal period composed histories of
Ireland, Scotland and Wales as well as Europe, trying to relate tribes and
nations mentioned in the Bible to European nations. Most professional
scholars would view this "Medieval speculation" as untrustworthy (for
example Scyths mentioned in ancient Greek sources are suppossedly Scots in
the Medieval Histories).

Sanders understands the Exodus occurred at the interval between the Early
Bronze and Middle Bronze Age, like Hoeh, the MB I being Joshua and the
Judges,at the end of the 13th Egyptian Dynasty, dating the Exodus to ca.
1452 BC, but Professional Egyptologists date the end of the 13th Dynasty to
ca. 1650 BCE (cf. p. 90. Peter A. Clayton. _Chronicle of the Pharaohs, The
Reign-by-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt_. London.
Thames & Hudson.1994). He has Mount Sinai being a volcano in Saudi Arabia
south of Mecca, which he accepts as being Kadesh Barnea on the authority of
Emmanuel Velikovsky, who's research on the Bible is regarded as dubious by
many professional scholars (However, Hoeh argues Kadesh is Petra in Jordan
and that the "lost tribes of Israel" are the inhabitants of the British
Isles. Hoeh's 18th Dynasty under Ahmose I begins ca. 1076-1051 BC whereas
professional Egyptologists date him ca. 1560-1520 BCE).

Sanders' has "a following" due to his popularized TV productions on "the
Bible and Archaeology," (or "Bible Mysteries") but most professional
archaeologists and bible scholars would regard his ideas (as well as Hoeh's)
as "fringe" and not to be taken seriously.

As regards Sanders' arguments for a 13th Dynasty Exodus at the interval of
the Early Bronze-Middle Bronze period I would suggest that you read William
H. Stiebing Jr's. _Out of the Desert ? Archaeology and the Exodus/Conquest
Narratives. Amherst, New York. Prometheus Books. 1989. paperback, available
at www.prometheusbooks.com

Stiebing covers ALL the different periods of time proposed for the Exodus,
INCLUDING the interval between the Early Bronze and Middle Bronze and notes
the archaeological anomalies for this period.

Alternately, you might consider visiting my website, www.bibleorigins.net
and under the OT and Geography Menus read the articles on the Exodus noting
the archaeological problems for ALL periods.

Regards,

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre, M.A. Ed.
mattfeld12 at charter.net