[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Nov 19 08:11:02 EST 2004

On 19/11/2004 12:38, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

>1) /c/ above is a phoneme, not a grapheme.  It represents the IPA symbol
>c, which is different than English c.  (In fact, in my attempt to find what this
>sounds like, I found English has no phoneme that is transcribed by /c/ in
>IPA).  ...

This sound, IPA [c], can be heard (more or less) at the start of English
"cute" etc, as the y sound following the c causes it to be pronounced
well forward on the palate. But in English it is not a phoneme (it has
no distinctive role - although "cute" is of course distinct from
"coot"), but a phone or sound.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/