Date of Moses, was: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Nov 18 12:24:52 EST 2004

On 18/11/2004 16:29, gfsomsel at juno.com wrote:

>Peter,
>
>You will note that the nun in M:Na$.eH is raised indicating a later
>addition.  Also, the LXX clearly has MWUSH.  It would seem that there was
>an attempt here to dissociate Moses and his family from idolatry.

Possibly. Or possibly just a note of a well-known textual crux. A scribe
may well have assumed that this Gershom was the son of Moses rather than
an otherwise unknown son of some Manasseh.

But even if I grant this, what is to stop these events being dated to
the 14th century BCE, a century or so after the date for Moses which can
be derived (at least relative to the early monarchy) from this same book
of Judges?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/