Date of Moses, was: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Nov 18 09:45:09 EST 2004

On 18/11/2004 13:28, gfsomsel at juno.com wrote:

>>This would have been not to long prior to the establishment of the
>>northern kingdom itself.
>>
>>george
>>gfsomsel
>>

>My apologies -- that should have read "This would have been not too long
>prior to . . . "

Well, your alternative version is grammatical, but it is still entirely
speculative. You have no way of telling how long before the
establishment of the northern kingdom these events happened - even
assuming they are historical when you assume that most of the rest of
Judges etc is not. I also note that you depend on a doubtful reading
M$H, Moses in Judges 18:30 where the Masoretic text has MN$H, Manasseh,
and assume that BEN means "son" rather than "descendant". But if you
make similar assumptions with other genealogical texts you get a very
different chronology.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/