[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Nov 17 18:29:47 EST 2004

Peter:

When I studied in college, there was one time that I had two different books, one printed in 1965, the other in 1967. However the 1967 book was a reprint of a book from 1902, printed from the same plates as the original printing. So which was the older book?

Harstad et al claim that the Byzantine tradition represents an older tradition than Sinaiticus, Vaticanus and others of the "Coptic" tradition. They say that accident of preservation does not necessarily mean older tradition.

Of interest to the B-Hebrew subject, the Byzantine tradition preserves more hard consonants than the Nestlé text, e.g. Nazaret instead of Nazareth, Matthaion instead of Maththaion, Kaparnaum instead of Kafarnaum (modern Kfarnahum) (e.g. Matt. 4:13). However most hard consonants had turned to soft (t -> th, p -> f, etc.) by that time, even in the Byzantine tradition.

So which is older, the Coptic tradition as in Nestlé, or the Byzantine tradition that preserves what are apparently a few older traditions concerning Hebrew pronunciation?

Karl W. Randolph.