[b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew and Welsh?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Nov 17 18:22:14 EST 2004

On 17/11/2004 22:58, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/17/2004 2:39:09 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> peterkirk at qaya.org writes:
>

>> There is a priestly family tree dating back to 1626 at
>> http://www.the-samaritans.com/html_articles/Brieftheoritical.htm.
>

> The beginnings of this tree look rather murky to me.  Anyway, why then
> did the Samaritans write pleading letters to the west around 1672
> seeking a descendant of Phineas for the priestly role, if  the family
> outlined in the tree was already so well established by then in this
> capacity?  Seems odd.  At any rate, this tree ends in the 40's but is
> still going, of course.

Well, my guess would be that the Sadaka and Ishak mentioned there were
not actually accepted in their time, perhaps as anything more than
interim stand-in Levites in the absence of a real priest, but their line
was gradually accepted when no real priests could be found.

I wonder if Tabya d.1797 was really the son of Ishak d.1702 and b.
before 1640? Maybe aged Ishak's young wife had some help from a local
Arab. That would be the period indicated by the genetic test, although
I'm sure the 250 year estimate is very rough.

The article was presumably written in the 1940s.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/