[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Nov 17 16:57:40 EST 2004

On 17/11/2004 19:49, Karl Randolph wrote:

>As for evidence of pronunciation shift, I noticed that the Byzantine tradition of texts of the New Testament preserved some indications in the transliterations of names that a shift in pronunciation had occured and come almost to completion. By the time of the texts that Nestlé is based on, that pronunciation shift was finished and those NT texts were cleaned up to reflect that.

Hold on a minute. The Byzantine MSS are *LATER* than "the texts that
Nestlé is based on", and so if reason for the differences is a
pronunciation shift, this shift is from the "Nestlé" pronunciation to
the Byzantine one. The shift must also be dated after the 4th century CE
and so outside the time period we are discussing.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/