[b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Nov 17 14:02:31 EST 2004

Yitzhak:

In looking at Ezra 4:7, only the presence of a prefix H- on N$TWN indicates that the verse was written in Hebrew, all the other indicators are either neutral (shared by both languages) or pointing to Aramaic. This brings up the question whether this is a copyist error, the substitution of a Hebrew prefix for an Aramaic suffix?

Secondly, I have noticed two types of loan words into a language: 1) where an object or concept has no equivelant term to denote it in the receiving language, e.g. Kindergarten in English, and 2) where the loan word replaces an equivelant term in the receiving language. I have heard many examples of the latter, both while living overseas and visiting ex-patriots, and while living among immigrants here in the U.S. Most commonly I hear that from the children of immigrants while they struggle to speak with the older generation in their parents' language which they don't know as well as the language they use in their daily lives.

The loan words that I noticed in both Esther and Ezra 4:7 (assuming that the latter is in Hebrew) are of the latter type, indicating that Hebrew was not the primary language of the writers.

As for when Ezra first went to Jerusalem, Ezra 7 indicates that he did not come with the first group under Cyrus, rather he came during the reign of Atarxerxes.

Karl W. Randolph.